Want a quick and easy sweet treat for Canada Day or 4th of July? These 4-Ingredient Ice Cream Sandwiches are for you. It’s so simple that even people who claim to “suck at baking” can whip it up – it’s fool-proof, I swear!
ICE CREAM SAMMIE INGREDIENTS:
- Boxed cake mix: A lot of store-bought cake mixes are accidentally vegan, just check the ingredients first. I would have used a red velvet cake mix for this recipe but it was sold out everywhere. Instead, I used a white cake mix and added some beetroot powder to dye it naturally.
- Oil: Any neutral flavoured oil will be perfect for this recipe, I’ve tried coconut, vegetable and canola and they’ve all worked perfectly.
- Flax eggs: If you’ve never heard of a flax egg before, it’s just ground flax seeds mixed with water which gels up to become an egg-like consistency – they replace eggs in this recipe to make it vegan.
HOW TO MAKE A FLAX EGG:
Flax eggs are a common egg replacer in vegan recipes, all you have to do to make one is mix together:
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp water
Set aside and allow it to gel-up.
*yield 1 flax egg.
CAKE MIX COOKIES?
It might seem strange… but you can turn almost any cake mix into cookies. Although unintentional, I actually loved the use of white cake mix in this recipe – it complimented the strawberry coconut ice cream SO WELL. These were a huge hit with my non-vegan friends and family members, they said they tasted like these strawberry shortcake ice cream bars!
Original recipe is by Tasty – mine is simply a vegan version!
4-Ingredient Ice Cream Sandwiches (Vegan)
- 1 boxed cake mix (vegan)
- 1/2 cup neutral tasting oil
- 2 flax eggs
- 2-4 tbsp beetroot powder*
- non-dairy ice cream **
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Combine 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp of water and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Once the flax egg has gelled up, combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Roll dough into 1 tbsp size balls and bake in the oven for 10-12 mins.
- Take them out when they look slightly underdone and allow them to cool fully on the pan.
- Scoop the ice cream of your choice and sandwich between 2 cookies.
- Freeze the ice cream sandwiches until you’re ready to eat them.
- Thaw for a few minutes and enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!