Love crepes, but want a healthier version? You’ve come to the right place! These Vegan Spelt Flour Crepes are not only vegan but they’re oil-free and refined-sugar-free. So, if you want an indulgent weekend breakfast, this is the recipe for you.
VEGAN SPELT FLOUR CREPES
Am I the only one who loves baking with spelt flour? If it was more common, I would use it in all my recipes.
I typically use light spelt flour as opposed to whole grain spelt flour because it’s most similar to all-purpose flour. It’s essentially the same idea as all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
WHY SPELT FLOUR?
Spelt flour is closely related to wheat, giving it a similar flavour and texture. I use it in most recipes as opposed to all-purpose flour because it has a higher nutritional value. It’s higher in fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals making it a clear winner in my books!
HOT TIP: When cooking/baking with spelt flour, be extra careful not to overmix because it can become sticky and glutenous very quickly!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR THE CREPES:
- Plant milk: Any non-dairy milk that you prefer will work. I usually use almond, oat or soy milk.
- Spelt flour: I recommend “light” spelt flour as opposed to whole grain spelt because it’s closer to all-purpose flour. Think all-purpose flour vs. whole wheat flour.
- Pure maple syrup: This is my preferred unrefined sweetener but any liquid sweetener will work.
- Ground flaxseed: Used as the binding agent in this recipe as it becomes gel-like (similar to the consistency of a raw beaten egg). The added benefit of using ground flax is that it’s high in omega-3’s!
- Chocolate nut butter & banana: Make your own spread using my Healthy Chocolate Sauce recipe. Fill crepes with the spread and sliced bananas, then top with coconut whipped cream and maple syrup.
- Stewed berries: Heat fresh or frozen berries in a saucepan over low/med heat with some sweetener. Once they’re cooked down and syrup-like, they’re done. Fill the crepes with the stewed berries and top with extra maple syrup and coconut whipped cream.
- Cinnamon sugar: Mix together some sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle into the crepe and top with maple syrup and coconut whipped cream. Alternatively, fill the crepes with the “cinnamon swirl mixture” from my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes recipe or swirl it into the crepes as they’re cooking.
Here are a few more delicious vegan breakfast recipes that I’m sure you’re going to love:
5-INGREDIENT VEGAN SPELT FLOUR CREPES
- 1 ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup spelt flour (light)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the spelt flour, ground flax, baking powder and salt.
- Form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the non-dairy milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Gently stir them together in the well.
- Whisk together the wet and dry ingredients – be sure not to overmix! Some lumps are fine.
- To a non-stick pan over low-medium heat, heat a little bit of coconut oil or vegan butter (just to prevent sticking – but optional).
- Using about 1/4 cup of batter per crepe, pour into the hot pan and use the measuring cup to spread the batter out further and thinner (or use a crepe spreader if you have one).
- Once the crepe is looking almost fully cooked through, flip onto the other side and let cook for a few more seconds. I also like to press it down with my spatula to get it thinner.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used up.
- Top/fill with ingredients of your choice (some of my faves listed above) and serve while hot.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!