Are you participating in Veganuary 2021?! Never heard of Veganuary before? It’s a challenge where you adopt a vegan diet for the month of January.
INDULGING YOUR SWEET TOOTH
If you’re afraid you won’t be able to indulge your sweet tooth during the month, I’ve got you covered. I’ve compiled the top 10 recipes from my blog which will have you hooked on vegan desserts — I promise you won’t be missing out on anything.
COMMON INGREDIENTS AND WHERE TO BUY THEM:
- You likely already have this at home and you’ll be happy to know that the main ingredient that makes up baked goods is 100% vegan. I always opt for unbleached and organic when I can.
- Similar to all-purpose flour in texture but it’s less refined and therefore has more vitamins and minerals – it’s a bit harder to come by hence most of my recipes use all-purpose. Find spelt flour at health food stores, bulk food stores or on Amazon.
- I like using chickpea flour in baked goods on occasion as it’s naturally gluten-free, high in protein and lends an almost nutty flavour. Find it in the ethnic sections of most grocery stores or on Amazon.
- I prefer coconut sugar to brown sugar, simply because it’s less refined once again but you can also use brown sugar in any of the recipes that call for coconut sugar. Find coconut sugar at Costco, bulk food stores or on Amazon.
- You can find vegan butter at most grocery stores. I like using Vegan Becel in my recipes from time to time — it’s the most cost-effective and widely available option.
- I like using almond butter as the fat component in oil-free recipes. It’s pretty neutral and adds a nice richness. Widely available.
- I also love using tahini as the fat component in oil-free recipes. The best ones are found in the ethnic section of most grocery stores — you want it to be runny and “pourable” in recipes.
- Find a plant-based milk you like in general and you can use it in baking as well. I tend to use oat milk most often as it’s super delicious, the most eco-friendly and allergy-friendly. Find it at most grocery stores or online.
- I use vanilla extract in most recipes as it adds a delicious flavour. Widely available.
BAKING POWDER & BAKING SODA
- I use both as leavening agents in recipes. Widely available.
I hope you enjoy these recipes and wish you the best of luck with Veganuary. Feel free to send me an email or DM on Instagram if you have any questions!