Are you looking for a healthier, vegan and gluten-free cookie recipe? These Chocolate Chunk Cookies are for you! In case you’re hesitant, let me assure you, these cookies are NOT GRITTY. I’m not gluten-free but I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to inhale an entire batch of these.
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
Chocolate chunk over chocolate chip? I don’t know about you, but more chocolate = better, in my books. Also, chocolate bars get more melty and soft when baked while chocolate chips tend to hold their shape and are less soft and I prefer the texture of chocolate chunks. If you wanted, or only had chocolate chips on hand, you could easily substitute them in this recipe.
VEGAN AND GLUTEN-FREE
It can be challenging to find recipes that are both vegan and gluten-free but thankfully, I got you covered. What I like most about this recipe is that it doesn’t require a gluten-free flour blend. All you need is brown rice flour and almond flour.
What’s even better, rice flour is super affordable. You can buy it in bulk or find it in the ethnic sections of many grocery stores! For this recipe, I used brown rice flour but regular rice flour should work just as well. In case you don’t want to run out to the store to grab it, I’ve linked another great option below.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Brown rice flour
- Almond flour
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Ground flaxseed
- Arrowroot starch
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Dark chocolate
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN COOKIE RECIPES?
Here a few more cookie recipes that I think you’ll love:
Whether you’re gluten-free or not I hope you enjoy these vegan and gluten-free chocolate chunk cookies just as much as I do. Happy cookie baking, friends! xx
CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES (VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 bar dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add flax and water into a small bowl to make a flax egg and set aside.
- Cream together coconut oil and coconut sugar then add in the flax egg and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Roughly chop 1/2 – 1 of your favourite vegan chocolate bar (or you can just use chocolate chips) and fold into the dough.
- Roll into 1-2 tbsp size balls and spread evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, take out when they look slightly underdone and leave them to cool on the baking sheet.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!