Looking for a healthy breakfast recipe that can double as a grab-and-go snack? Look no further than these Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. These muffins are vegan, oil-free and refined-sugar-free. They make for a perfect snack and also an amazing on-the-go breakfast!
HEALTHY BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
These are the primary ingredients for these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. They’re super simple and healthy ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry!
- Ripe bananas: I usually like my bananas to be overripe for baked goods because they’re even sweeter but you can always balance out the sweetness by either adding more or less maple syrup.
- Pure maple syrup: Always use the stuff that comes from trees. I’m lucky to live in Canada where maple syrup is abundant – I always get the Canada Grade A 100% Pure Maple Syrup.
- Spelt flour: I recommend light spelt flour as it’s similar to all-purpose flour as it’s been slightly refined from the whole-grain version – think whole wheat flour vs. all-purpose (but less refined).
- Tahini: Pourable tahini is best, I like to get mine in the ethnic section of the grocery store – it’s the good stuff (usually the best bang for your buck too). Otherwise, this tahini is also great!
- Quick oats: I find that quick oats end up seeming like flour in baked goods which makes it a good replacement because oats are super healthy and full of fibre.
- Rolled oats: I use larger rolled oats as an “add-in” because they give such a great texture.
HOW TO STORE THESE HEALTHY MUFFINS:
I find it best to always store baked goods that contain banana in an air-tight container in the fridge – they’re always fresher that way.
Ways to enjoy the muffins after they’ve been in the fridge:
- Cold straight out of the fridge when I’m on the go.
- Heated in the microwave for 15-20 seconds with some vegan butter.
- Sliced in half and toasted in the air fryer or toaster oven with vegan butter.
This recipe is inspired by Maddie Lymburner’s recipe for Quick & Easy Banana Muffins. I changed a few things and made the recipe oil-free, but definitely check out her original recipe as well!
HEALTHY BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS (VEGAN)
- 3 ripe bananas (medium)
- 1/2 cup pourable tahini
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup light spelt flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, line a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas and then add in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients over the top and gently combine them before fully incorporating with the wet.
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin – should make 12 muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!