Looking for a super healthy, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and refined-sugar-free muffin recipe? Look no further than these Healthy Blueberry Pecan Muffins. They’re perfect for a quick grab-and-go breakfast or a midday pick-me-up!
HEALTHY GLUTEN-FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
I don’t know about you but I always associate January with “healthy eating month” whether it should be or not. That said, everyone has a different idea of what health is, but this recipe is the epitome of health to me. I wanted to share this recipe with you because there are very few recipes for healthy gluten-free blueberry muffins that also happen to be vegan!
Ingredients you need:
- Oat Flour: I like to make a fresh batch of oat flour each week by simply blending oats in a high-speed blender until they resemble flour then store in an air-tight container. Alternatively, buy premade oat flour.
- Brown Rice Flour: I always keep brown rice flour stocked in my pantry as it’s such a great flour alternative and contains all the health benefits of brown rice.
- Arrowroot Starch: This is used to help everything stay together, you can also substitute it for cornstarch.
- Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk but any plant-based milk will do, you can even make some no-strain hemp milk if you’re in a pinch.
- Almond Butter: In any baked good, fat is required. In order to make this recipe oil-free, we’re using almond butter because it’s very neutral in flavour.
- Maple Syrup: This is my go-to unrefined sweetener. It adds a sweet maple flavour while keeping this recipe whole-food based.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adding ACV to plant milk creates a DIY buttermilk which is what we’re aiming for in this recipe. You can substitute it for white vinegar as well.
- Vanilla Extract: I always use vanilla in baked goods because it’s a classic and delicious flavour. Omit vanilla if you need to.
STORING THE MUFFINS:
There are 2 different ways to store these muffins:
- Fridge – place the muffins in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freezer – place the muffins in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a month, simply microwave or put them in the toaster oven to enjoy.
Try these other muffin and loaf recipes that I think you’ll love:
HEALTHY VEGAN BLUEBERRY PECAN MUFFINS
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup blueberries*
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a muffin tin.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients then add them to the wet and fully combine.
- Stir in the chopped pecans and blueberries.
- Fill the muffin liners 3/4 of the way then bake for 15-25 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin tin.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!