Hazelnuts have to be my ALL TIME favourite nut to combine with chocolate. Prior to going vegan, I would eat Nutella by the spoonful. Thankfully, brands like New World Foods make Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Butter which tastes like Nutella only it’s SO MUCH better. It’s local, organic, fair-trade and palm oil-free––checks all my boxes! This Healthy Vegan “Nutella” Ice Cream definitely satisfies all the cravings.
HELPFUL ICE CREAM TIPS:
- High-speed blender. I use this Vitamix Blender which gives me so much freedom – I keep my raw cashews in the freezer so that they don’t go rancid and I never soak them prior to making this recipe.
- Texture changes using dates. If you want the texture to be more mousse-like you can use more dates than maple syrup, however, if you prefer a more classic ice cream texture, you may want to use fewer dates and more maple syrup.
- The more add-ins the better. I do give a measurement for the add-ins, but my philosophy on those is to go with your gut AND more is always better in my opinion.
Next time you’re having a craving for Nutella, do yourself a favour and try this recipe – you won’t regret it. Happy ice cream making, friends!
Craving more vegan ice cream? I got you covered. Check out these recipes:
HEALTHY VEGAN “NUTELLA” ICE CREAM
Ice Cream Base
- 2 cans coconut cream (200ml)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 medjool dates (4-5 regular dates)
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate hazelnut butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate hazelnut butter
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate covered nuts (chopped)
- Add all of the ingredients (minus the 'add-ins') to a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth. Taste and add more maple syrup for sweetness, as needed.
- Pour into a loaf pan or freezer-safe dish.
- Roughly chop dark chocolate covered nuts (preferably dark chocolate covered hazelnuts) and sprinkle over the mixture.
- Evenly dollop on the dark chocolate hazelnut butter then swirl everything around.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- Thaw 10-20 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!