Let me introduce to you, your new favorite recipe. Believe me, when I tell you, Lemon Blueberry Scones are SEVERELY underrated. I was hesitant to make these at first, thinking I wouldn’t personally love them, but this is likely my favorite recipe on the blog to date. These vegan scones are perfectly sweet with just the right about of zesty goodness. I honestly can’t say enough good things about them!
These bakery-style vegan scones have everything you could ever want in a scone, you’d never even be able to tell that they’re vegan. I also wanted to mention that I wholeheartedly thought that I would prefer a chocolate chip scone because in general, chocolate always has my heart, but these topped those by 100000000%. They’re unbeatable, in my opinion.
So, you might be wondering, are vegan scones as good as non-vegan scones? You might also be wondering if it’s even possible to make them without eggs and butter. The obvious answer is, yes! These scones are completely egg-free and dairy-free. I’m going to let you on a few secrets to achieving delicious, flakey vegan scones.
FLAKY LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES
- Vegan Butter – there are quite a few brands that make vegan butter, for this recipe I like to use solid vegan butter (in other words, less like margarine and more like butter).
- Coconut Milk (full-fat) – this ingredient might not be quite as obvious but it makes a HUGE difference in my opinion, it takes these vegan scones to a whole other level. You’re not actually going to use it within the scone mixture, instead, you’re going to brush it on top before placing the scones in the oven.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED & SUBSTITUTIONS:
You only need some super basic ingredients in this recipe, you might already have them all at home!
FOR THE DOUGH
- All-purpose flour: I’m sure most people have this, you can probably also substitute it for a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend, I’ve heard great things about the Bob’s Redmill one.
- Non-dairy milk: You can pretty much use whatever non-dairy milk you have on hand, I typically use oat, almond, or homemade hemp seed milk in a pinch.
- Maple syrup: I love using maple syrup in place of other refined sweeteners whenever possible but you can use any liquid sweetener of your choosing.
- Vegan butter: As I mentioned above, you’re looking for solid vegan butter in this recipe that can be easily cut into your dry mixture. You can also use refined coconut oil in its solid-state as well.
- Vanilla extract: Honestly, vanilla belongs in every sweet recipe and I don’t have much to say besides that.
FOR THE ADD-INS + EXTRAS
- Icing sugar: Icing sugar is used in the glaze of this recipe, if you didn’t want any refined sugar, you could substitute it for a powdered monk fruit sweetener or any other sugar-free sweetener that you’re comfortable with.
- Lemon: We’re going to be using both the zest and the juice of the lemon in this recipe! I like to opt for organic lemons when I’m using the zest but it’s definitely a personal choice and is going to be delicious no matter what!
- Blueberries: You can use either fresh or frozen, I went with fresh for this recipe because it’s what I had on hand + there is less likelihood of them making the scones take a green hue.
- Coconut milk: As I mentioned in the previous section, you’re going to use the coconut milk to brush the tops of the scones before baking!
STORING AND REHEATING SCONES
In general, these lemon blueberry scones are best enjoyed fresh. That said, they will last for a couple of days in an airtight container at room temperature––just make sure they’ve cooled fully before storing. Alternatively, they will last about 2-3 months in the freezer in an airtight container. I personally cannot get them to last long enough for that.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Looking for more delicious vegan recipes? I know you’re going to love these as well:
LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES (VEGAN)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (cold)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- coconut milk* (for brushing on top)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (or zest from one lemon)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice (or juice from half a lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 425º and line a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl then, cut in the vegan butter with a fork (or your hands).
- Form a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients gently in the well before full combining with the dry.
- Add in the blueberries and lemon zest before everything is fully incorported. Use your hands to mix everything together completely.
- Place the dough on a flat surface and shape it into a flat circular disk.
- Cut into 8 even-sized triangles and brush the tops with some full-fat coconut milk.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!