I thought it was about time I share my recipe for The Best Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies with you. These are everything you’d ever want in a peanut butter cookie. They’re slightly salty, buttery and absolutely delicious. The best part? You can enjoy these soft and chewy or crispy — it’s totally up to you!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE BEST PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
These require very simple ingredients to make – you likely already have them at home right now.
- All-Purpose Flour: a gluten-free flour blend will likely work as well.
- Coconut sugar: you can also use brown sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
- Peanut Butter: I only use natural peanut butter, it should work with other kinds, might just make the cookies sweeter overall.
- Vegan Butter: I use vegan Becel, but you should be able to use any kind.
- Non-Dairy Milk: any kind you have on hand should work, with the exception of full-fat coconut milk from a can.
- Vanilla Extract: I love adding vanilla to pretty much every cookie but they’ll still be delicious even if you omit it.
- Baking Powder: a leavening agent that helps ensure the cookies rise.
- Baking Soda: helps the cookies leaven and also deepens the brown color.
- Salt: never skip that pinch of salt, salt helps to enhance the flavour of the cookies.
SOFT AND CHEWY VS. CRISPY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
I am a huge fan of soft and chewy cookies, although I do enjoy a nice crispy cookie from time to time. Here is how you can achieve either with this recipe:
- Soft & Chewy – If you’re looking for a soft and chewy cookie, you’ll want to take the cookies out when they look slightly underdone and then allow them to sit on the hot baking sheet to cool.
- Crispy – If it’s a crispy cookie you’re after, bake them for a minute or two longer and allow them to cool a bit before transferring to a cooling rack.
ADD SOME EXTRA FLAVOUR
3 OPTIONAL VEGAN ADD-IN IDEAS
If you’re looking to take The Best Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies to another level, add in some:
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Rolled oats
- Crushed peanuts
Or, dip them in melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN COOKIE RECIPES?
Here are a few more blog favourites:
THE BEST VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the vegan butter, peanut butter and coconut sugar until fully combined.
- Stir in the non-dairy milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients together then add them to the wet.
- Stir together until you form a giant dough ball then roll into 1-2 tbsp sized balls and spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Use a fork to score the cookies with the classic peanut butter cookie pattern.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- If you want the cookies to be soft & chewy take them out when they look slightly underdone and allow them to cool on the baking sheet.
- For crispier cookies, bake a couple of minutes longer.
Tried this recipe? Tag @rosslynmaria on Instagram!